Friday, October 22, 2010

The Shrunken Head

So there's this bar a few blocks from my place called The Shrunken Head, and while my roommate and I don't manage to make it there as often as we'd like, I love it.

I'll admit I'm a little biased. It's owned by my former boss's husband, and both my former boss and her husband are great people and have helped me out on several occasions.

But you can't argue with an amazing burger, a variety of other delicious German food (try the schnitzel!), a Happy Hour that boasts a liter of genuine German beer for only $4.00 (several beers on tap) and a warm atmosphere hosted by one of the most attractive bar staffs in Columbus.

Not that a bar staff should be judged by how attractive they are... but seriously, damn. The girls and boys that work that place know how to work it.

I'm starting to feel guilty about objectifying the staff. Yes, they're sexy, but they're also incredibly friendly and helpful, and are more than happy to assist you in finding the meal or drink that is right for you. The girl that served my roommate and I the other evening offered us several samples of draft beers before we finally decided what we wanted.

On Tuesdays The Shrunken Head (or "ze Head") hosts a swing dance night, the perfect event for active couples looking to add some spice to their work week.

And the concerts, I can't even begin to keep track of all the musicians and shows The Shrunken Head hosts. Over the summer I went to an event featuring Wisconsin-based group Null Device. The Shrunken Head may be a small venue for shows, but that's what makes it such a unique experience. Even when excusing yourself to get a drink at the bar (and I must remind you, the bartenders, both male and female, are hot), the band is still right there, the music is still pulsing in your ears.

The Shrunken Head doesn't quite fit the stereotypes most traditional bars and restaurants fall into. As of now, it doesn't seem target a certain group. It doesn't appeal only to hipsters or rockers or young professionals. The bar appears to take on the philosophy of its owners: it is what it is, and almost anybody could find something to like about it. It's that comfortable neighborhood bar that is fading fast in American culture.

The Shrunken Head is on the corner of 5th and Neil in Columbus, and you really ought to check it out. They have a website (here), but I tend to get information about their menu and upcoming shows from their Facebook page.

I hope you'll join me for Happy Hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment